I lead the machine learning group of the Cloud Information Services Laboratory (CISL) at Microsoft. I am also a member of the Apache Software Foundation and the current PMC chair (VP) of Apache REEF. My work focuses on machine learning techniques, systems therefore and applications thereof. Recently, I have been heavily involved in systems building for these applications, both Apache REEF and internal ones.
- Apache REEF: A standard library for writing high performance applications on Big Data clusters.
- ScalOps A domain specific language for distributed, larger scale data analytics and machine learning.
- DIOS: A large scale machine learning library used at Yahoo!
- CofiRank: A collaborative filtering algorithm that supports predicting the ranking of items as opposed to mere rating.
- BMRM: Open source, modular and scalable convex solver for many machine learning problems cast in the form of regularized risk minimization problem.
- Elefant: A machine learning toolbox. My contributions include a bridge that renders UIMA annotators into feature extraction tools for machine learning. This code is Open Source under the Mozilla Public License.
- DkPro: A set of UIMA annotators developed by TU Darmstadt.
- Doctorate summa cum laude in Computer Science from TU Darmstadt, 2009
- Best Machine Learning Paper at ECML-PKDD 2008
- Scholarship award at the Machine Learning Summer School 2006
- Diploma (masters’ equivalent) summa cum laude in Computer Science and Business Administration from TU Darmstadt, 2005
- Demonstrations and Competitions Chair for NIPS 2017
- Co-Chair for KDD Cup 2016
- Reviewer / PC Member: HotCloud, USENIX ATC, VLDB
- Organizer: Learning Systems 2015
- Reviewer / PC Member: NIPS, KDD
- Reviewer / PC Member: KDD, ACM Recommender Systems, NIPS
- Organizer: HetRec 2010
- Reviewer / PC Member: NIPS, ACM Recommender Systems, ICML, AISTATS, ECML/PKDD, MLOSS ‘10, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE) and the Special Issue of the Journal of Web Semantics on “Bridging the Gap” – Data Mining and Social Network Analysis for Integrating Semantic Web and Web 2.0
- Organizer: iatel09
- Reviewer / PC Member: Deutsche KI-Konferenz, KDD, ECML/PKDD, Workshop on Social Information Retrieval for Technology-Enhanced Learning (SIRTEL’08) in the International Conference on Web-based Learning (ICWL) 2009
- 2008 and earlier
- External advisor in the review process of COLT
- PC member in the workshop Bridging the Gap between Semantic Web and Web 2.0 at the 4th European Semantic Web Conference ESWC 2007
- Alexandros Karatzoglou
- Alex Smola
- Jürgen Steimle
- Karsten Weihe
- Kilian Weinberger
- Max Mühlhäuser
- Oliver Brdiczka
- Quoc Viet Le
- Tyson Condie
- Raghu Ramakrishnan
- Martin Zinkevich
- Sergey Dudoladov: Summer intern at Microsoft, 2016
- Ignacio Cano: Summer intern at Microsoft, 2015
- Alex Beutel: Summer intern at Microsoft, 2014
- Arun Kumar: Summer intern at Microsoft, 2013
- Daniel Glöckner: Collaborative filtering of framework code, Diploma thesis at TUD.
- Kai Michael Höver: Ranking im Web 2.0. Diplomarbeit an der TU Darmstadt.
- David Koch: Study of the discrepancy between client- and server side logging of clickstreams. Master’s Thesis at the KTH Stockholm.
- For three years, I worked at Yahoo! Research. My focus there was anti-abuse and web scale machine learning.
- I obtained my PhD as a student in the graduate school for the improvement of e-learning at the computer science department of the Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany. I worked on applications of machine learning in elearning. To do so, I was lucky enough to gather support by two supervisors: Max Mühlhäuser (TUD) and Alex Smola.
- Yahoo! Research: Research intern. I worked on email spam filters in the SPARTA project.
- Statistical Machine Learning Program of NICTA: Visiting Scholar
- Data Mining Group MINE of Fraunhofer’s Integrated Publication and Information Systems Institute (IPSI): Research associate
- Centre for Complex Systems and Control (CDSC) at The University of Newcastle, Australia: Visiting Scholar